Get Ready to Read
Early literacy skills are what your child needs to know before learning to read and write. As a parent or caregiver, you can encourage your child on the road to reading.
- Get a library card for you and your child.
- Printable storytime handouts with stories, songs and rhymes to share.
- Check out an Early Literacy iPad Kit, pre-loaded with apps and e-books selected by staff to support early literacy skills.
- Join 1000 Books Before Kindergarten, a special reading program for kids birth-Pre-K.
- Check out a Storytime Pack, containing a book, CD and interactive materials designed to boost literacy skills.
- Novelist K-8 offers read-alikes and book suggestions.
- Muzzy Languages learning tool for English, Spanish, Russian and other languages.
Five ways to get started
- Reading – Sharing books together is the most important thing you can do with your child. Words are all around us, so try reading signs, labels, lists and menus as well as books.
- Writing – Reading and writing go hand-in-hand. Encourage scribbling, drawing and writing.
- Talking – Talking and telling stories are ways children learn new vocabulary. Children learn about language by listening and joining in conversations.
- Singing – Songs, rhymes and fingerplays develop listening skills and help children learn new words. Singing also slows down language so children can hear the different sounds of letters and understand the natural rhythm and rhyme of words.
- Playing – Children learn by playing. Different kinds of play encourage different skills, so make sure your child has plenty of playtime to use their imagination and creativity.
- CLEL Bell nominees and winners Annual award recognizing high-quality picture books.
- Colorín Colorado (español) Un sitio bilingüe para familias y maestros para ayudar a los niños leer
- Day By Day Activity Calendar Fun and simple literacy activities for each day of the year.
- National Association for the Education of Young Children Families can find tips, resources and articles about children’s learning and development.
- Ready At Five (español) Las sugerencias para padres brindan información para formar las habilidades y capacidades de su niño/a.
- Storyblocks A collection of 30-60 second songs, rhymes and fingerplay videos featuring 9 different languages.
- Zero to Three Articles and tips about early development and well-being.