Tax Aid Information
These services are not offered at the library. Call the information below.
- A limited number of sites will offer a modified, low-contact method for tax return processing.
- Appointments are required.
- You will receive forms in the mail that must be completed before the appointment.
- At your first appointment, your documentation will be scanned.
- A remote tax aide will complete your tax return.
- Return to the site at a later date to sign and pick up your finished tax return.
This information changes frequently. All locations within 15 miles of the library are listed unless they have informed AARP they have no more appointment slots available. Find other AARP sites here.
Libertyville Civic Center
The Hope Collective Church
VITA Tax Aids
The VITA program is similar to the AARP program, but focuses on (and may be limited to) the following:
- People who generally make $57,000 or less
- Persons with disabilities
- Limited English-speaking taxpayers
800 Central Ave
Highland Park, IL 60035
Spanish-language services available.
Find other VITA locations here or call 800-906-9887.
Free Online Alternatives
IRS Free File
Free online tax software, including filing and refunds, for annual incomes below $72,000. More information and list of all software options here.
Similar to the IRS Free File program but with their own terms and conditions. See their online options here.
IRS Interactive Tax Assistant
Automated answers to common tax questions are available here.
Free online forms and filing for Illinois state taxes.
IRS Free Fillable Forms
Simple online forms and filing without significant software assistance are here.
Fee-based Online Alternatives
AT the Library
Federal and state 1040 forms and instructions are located on the second floor of the library. If you need forms that are not on the table, staff can print 2 copies of any form that they need at the Adult Services desk. Members can also print state and federal forms at home.