Raising a reader starts with you!
- Get a library card and come visit us.
- Sign up for a reading program
- Tag Along (Grades K-2)
- Rockin’ Readers (Grades 3-5)
- Explore hands-on science at home by checking out a STEAM Discovery Kit for ages 6 and older. Each kit includes books, educational toys and equipment on a variety of topics.
- Check out an Adventure Pack, ages 3 and older, containing books, CDs and interactive materials designed to boost literacy skills.
- Novelist K-8 offers read-alikes and book suggestions.
- Muzzy Languages learning tool in English, Spanish, Russian and others.
Early Reader Collection
Books labeled levels 1-4.
- Level 1: Getting Ready to Read
10 words or less on a page
- Level 2: On My Way
10-20 words on a page
- Level 3: Almost There
More difficult story lines
- Level 4: Reading On My Own
Longer stories, often broken up into short chapters
Beginning Chapter Book Collection
- Have less than 100 pages
- Short chapters
- Illustrations on many pages
- Large, clear text
- Simple plot line-often the plot may be repeated across books in series
Beginning Nonfiction Book Collection
Nonfiction books for pre-readers and early readers
- Less than about 40 pages
- Illustrations on many pages
Know the Law for Illinois
- Mandatory from 6th birthday through age 17 (or graduates from his/her high school program)
- Daily instruction in English for 176 days
- Required subjects to be taught:
- Language Arts
- Biological & Physical Sciences
- Social Science
- Fine Arts
- Physical Development & Health
- No standardized testing required
- No state accreditation required
- No home visits required
- No record of attendance, although advisable to do so
- No state requirement for parents to initiate any contact
Homeschool Buyers Co-op
Links to curriculum, testing, coupons and other resources
K12 Homeschool Online
Online homeschooling options
Homeschool Legal Defense Association
Nonprofit advocacy organization established to defend and advance the constitutional right of parents to direct the education of their children and to protect family freedoms.
Popular homeschooling community resource, includes information, articles and message boards.
Youth graphic novels in all genres are intended for kids up to grade 5 and can be a successful visual reading experience.
Through grade 8
- Reading is Fundamental helps evaluate your children’s progress through six stages of reading development.
- Family Time Machine offers activities for a variety of age and skill levels. Instructions in Spanish also available.
- Colorin Colorado: (español) Un sitio bilingüe para familias y maestros para ayudar a los niños leer.
- Dogo Books are book reviews by kids for kids.
- Great Websites for Kids Carefully selected works by the Association for Library Service to Children.
- Reading Rockets for Parents provides articles and suggestions for great books and helpful tips for your struggling reader.
- Read Write Think provides resources for parents from the International Literacy Association.
- Family Reading Night promotes literacy across the state of Illinois.
- Raz Kids provides a searchable Reading Level Correlation Chart with multiple reading level choices.